Friday 13 November 2015

Raze and Ruin 2015 Part 1

Introduction


Raze and Ruin was an 8th edition Warhammer Fantasy tournament held in my home town of Leicester (within walking distance of me in fact).  It was run by the Leicester Phat Katz in their usual gaming venue, although the TO, comp pack monkey and public face of the event was Sandy Wilson, a familiar face from the UK scene and one of the main contenders for “nicest guy in Warhammer” moniker.

This was the third year the event had been run.  In 2013 the event had 24 players, increasing to 43 in 2014 and 59 this year, even with all the uncertainty about whether people would come to an 8th after the release of Age of Sigmar appeared to have driven a stake into the heart of the fantasy gaming community.

At the 2013 event I’d literally walked home with the wooden spoon, having occupied table 12 since game two.  I’d planned to go to the 2014 event but a babysitting problem meant I couldn’t make it.  This year I was fortunate that my wife’s work rota meant that she was off on the event weekend so I didn’t have to worry about that.

The 2015 event was 2500 points using the 8th edition rules as well as the End Times books, although the Host of the Eternity King and some of the End Times special characters were banned. Also in use was Sandy’s own Tally Comp pack.  While very little was actual banned at the event, the Tally Comp gave each army a score based on whether certain units or items were taken, with a stated aim of encouraging players to take lesser used units.  Scores for individual units or items could be positive or negative and the final tally score for an army would be added to the player’s tournament points at the end of the event to determine the final placing.  (If you want to read more about Tally Comp following this link to find the pack.) 

As this was potentially the last Warhammer tournament I’d ever play in, I initially decided I was going to take something a lot different to what I’ve run in the past.  Looking at what I’d got on my painting table and what I thought I might be able to get painted before the event I spent a lot of time looking at double Star Dragon and double Moon Dragon lists.  Unfortunately, due to the negative impact the release of Age of Sigmar has had, certainly on the local club scene, I was only able to get two practice games in for the event, one with a double Star Dragon list and one with the double Moon Dragon list.  Even that practice turned out to not have been worth the time as I realised about a month before lists were due in that with the painting time available to me I was highly unlikely to be able to finish the accompanying unit of Dragon Princes I was planning to use to accompany the dragons.

Needing to come up with a list that I could put together quickly without needing a lot of painting doing, I went back to my army list from last year’s Blood and Glory tournament.  As that was a 2400 point event I had to add a few points in core, which I achieved by bumping up both Archers unit to 16 models, although in one of the few concessions I made to the fact that this was a different event I dropped the standards from all my Core units.  Both Swordmaster units were increased to 23 models with full command as well.  Other than that the only list changes were tweaks to the magic item load out on my second Archmage.  As I didn’t have time for any practice games with this list I decided to leave the magic lore the same as for Blood and Glory.


Archmage (General) – Lore of High Magic
- Level 4
- Dispel Scroll
- Talisman of Preservation
- Ruby Ring of Ruin

Archmage – Lore of Light
- Level 4
- Book of Hoeth
- Khaine’s Ring of Fury
- Relic Sword

Noble
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Dragon Armour
- Shield
- Great Weapon
- Banner of the World Dragon

5 Ellyrian Reavers
- Bows and Spears

5 Ellyrian Reavers
- Bows and Spears

5 Ellyrian Reavers
- Bows and Spears

16 Archers
- Musician

16 Archers
- Musician

23 Swordmasters
- Full Command
- Razor Standard

23 Swordmasters
- Full Command
- Banner of Eternal Flame

Lion Chariot

Great Eagles
- Shredding Talons

Great Eagles
- Shredding Talons

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower


Game 1 – Ben Atkinson – Bretonnia - Battleline


My first game of the event was against Bretonnians.  As one of those armies I’d not played a lot (this was my fourth game ever against them) I wasn’t quite sure how I wanted to approach this.  The only thing I did know was that I did not want to be fighting the Knight of the Realm bus (and all the characters I assumed would be in it) one on one if I could help it.

Bretonnian Lord
- Shield
- Barded Bretonnian Warhorse

Prophetess
- Level 4 Wizard
- Lore of Heavens
- Bretonnian Warhorse

Paladin
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Barded Bretonnian Warhorse

Paladin
- Morning Star
- Lance
- Shield
- Barded Bretonnian Warhorse

Paladin:
- Morning Star
- Lance, Shield
- Barded Bretonnian Warhorse

Damsel
- Level 2 Wizard
- Lore of Beasts
- Bretonnian Warhorse

Damsel
- Level 2 Wizard
- Lore of Life
- Bretonnian Warhorse

15 Knights of the Realm
- Full Command

5 Knights of the Realm
- Champion

5 Knights of the Realm
- Champion

Grail Reliquae with Battle Pilgrims
- 6 Battle Pilgrims

5 Mounted Yeomen
- Shields
- Musician

3 Pegasus Knights
- Champion

3 Grail Knights

Trebuchet

Trebuchet


Spells


Archmage – High Magic
1 – Drain Magic
2 – Hand of Glory
3 – Walk Between Worlds
4 – Arcane Unforging

Archmage – Lore of Light
1 – Light of Battle
2 – Net of Amyntok
3 - Banishment
4 – Birona’s Timewarp


Prophetess – Lore of Heavens
1 – Iceshard Blizzard
2 – Curse of the Midnight Wind
3 – Comet of Cassandora
4 – Chain Lightning

Damsel – Lore of Life
1 – Flesh to Stone
2 - Regrowth

Damsel – Lore of Beasts
1 – Wyssan’s Wildform
2 – Amber Spear


Deployment


On my side of the table there was a hill in the  left quarter of my deployment zone with a ruin (that for simplicity’s sake we decided to treat as a wood) just in front of the right quarter.  Ben had a forest in the left quarter of his deployment zone as I looked at it, a small hill almost in the right quarter of his deployment zone and a tower just in front of the right quarter. There was another ruin about two feet from the left board edge and slap bang on the mid line of the board.

Ben deployed his Pegasus Knights to the right of the wood with the Grail Reliquae next to them.  The small Realm Knight units clustered about the hill with a trebuchet behind it and the other trebuchet about eight inches to the left of it.  The Mounted Yeomen were up on the deployment line in front of the trebuchet and the big Knight of the Realm bus was deployed diagonally pointing towards the bottom right corner of the board.

As I usually do with this type of list, I spread my three units of Reavers and the Great Eagles across the board before deciding, despite the presence of the trebuchets, to concentrate my forces in the left corner, hoping that this would mean Ben’s horse mounted knights would take longer to get to me.  This meant that to the left of the hill I had one unit of Swordmasters with the Light Archmage, a bolt thrower on the hill and a unit of Archers to the right of it.  The second unit of Swordmasters was next to them containing my BSB and General with a unit of Reavers in front and an Eagle behind.  The Lion Chariot was just to the right of the Swordmasters and then a little way behind and to the right of that was one of the Bolt Throwers.  Roughly central in my deployment zone was another Reaver unit and three or four inches to their right was the other Archer unit.  The second Eagle was almost on the table edge a ways behind the forest/ruin while my last Reaver unit was to the right of the building.

With vanguard moves Ben moved the Pegasus Knights close to the building in the centre as well as pushing the Mounted Yeomen forward.  For my part I chose to edge the Reavers on the left and right flanks up.



Game


Winning first turn Ben aggressively pushed up the Mounted Yeoman in front of my central Reaver unit.  The Peg Knights flew up into range to threaten the left Reavers with the Reliquae following them up.  The Knight bus performed a big wheel with its march move to end up pointed towards the right-most of my Bolt Throwers while the nearest small Realm Knight unit and the Grail Knights moved up alongside.

In the magic phase I left through Iceshard Blizzard on the left Eagle only to see Ben then fail to get the expected Comet off.  The Level 2 then managed to cast Amber Spear at the Lion Chariot with irresistible force, doing enough wounds to take it off.  From the miscast result his Prophetess and one of the Damsels took a wound, although the Prophetesses’’ was negated by the Prayer Icon of Quenelles.

The Mounted Yeomen fired their bows at point blank into the Reavers in front of them but only one managed to score a glancing hit on a helmet.  The first trebuchet took aim at general’s unit of Swordmasters but misfired, being unable to shoot until the next turn.  The other had no such bad lack with the shot scattering only two inches and hitting eight Swordmasters, killing six.  This was enough to cause a panic test which they failed and then failed again with the BSB re-roll, causing the unit to flee off the board, closely followed by the nearby Great Eagle.

Needless to say, while I’d expected to take a bit of a kicking before I got a chance to even move a unit, I hadn’t expected to lose two fifths of my points, and certainly I’d hoped not to have lost my unit best placed to chop through the Bretonnian armour.  My plans changed from trying to get my combat units as unmolested as possible into his bus to trying to pick up what points I could to try and avoid getting 20-0’ed.

As I didn’t fancy running the risk of trying to shoot off the Mounted Yeoman and then having them whip round and shoot down my remaining Eagle or the right hand Bolt Thrower, I charged them with the Reavers.  Not really knowing how potent a threat the Grail Knights might be I charged them in the flank with the Reavers on the right flank.  The Reavers from the left flank conducted the third charge, into the Grail Reliquae to try and hold that up.  The rest of the army stayed put for the time being.

In the magic phase I ended up with 11 dice versus six.  I started out by casting Banishment at the Pegasus Knights which Ben threw five dice at to dispel.  I then tried to cast Net of Amyntok at them, this time drawing out a dispel scroll.  Finally I cast a boosted Light of Battle which was successfully cast. 

Shooting was totally ineffective with nothing getting through the Bretonnian armour saves.  The Reavers fighting the Grail Knights did their job of holding them in place, the turn seeing them reform at the end of the drawn combat to face their Elven foes.  Likewise the Reavers fighting the Reliquae succeeded in holding it in place, although they needed to pass a break test to do so.  The Yeomen proved more resilient than expected, with the survivors holding the Reavers in place.

The Bretonnian’s counter-charged in their second turn, with the Peg Knights charging the Bolt Thrower on the hill, the Realm Knights accompanying the bus charged the Reavers fighting the Yeomen and the Realm unit on the right charging the Reavers fighting the Grail Knights.  Meanwhile the bus moved further on towards my left corner.

In the magic phase I decided to chance letting Comet off.  The Beasts wizard cast an irresistible Amber Spear at the other Bolt Thrower, destroying it and putting a wound on the Prophetess and the previously unwounded Damsel.  The trebuchets targeted the remaining Swordmasters with one misfiring and the other scattering off.

While the Grail Knights and Realm Knights fighting the Reavers on the right were victorious, the Knights in the centre were evidently put off their stride by having to fight alongside the Yeomen as only one Reaver was toppled and the Reliquae failed to finish off the Reavers fighting it, albeit reducing them to one man. The Pegasus Knights did as expected and overran from the Bolt Thrower.

High Elf turn two and the Archers on the right charged into the Reaver/Yeomen/Realm combat to try and weight of numbers to the fight.  The surviving Eagle flew out to diver the bus while the Swordmasters moved up the table to try and get out of reach of the bus.  The other unit of Archers reformed to face the Peg Knights.

Magic saw the Comet not come down again.  I tried to cast Net on the bus and Pha’s on the Swordmasters which were dispelled but did succeed in casting Light of Battle.  The left unit of Archers shot at the Pegasus knights but couldn’t get anything through their armour save. 

The Grail Reliquae finally managed to grind out the last Ellyrian Reaver fighting them while the support of the Archers charging into the combat with the Mounted Yeomen and Knights of the Realm only resulted in a drawn combat.

Ben charged the Grail Knights into the flank of the Archers in the massed combat of mounted and infantry troops as well as the bus of knights into the blocking eagle. Meanwhile the Grail Reliquae headed off for safety while the Pegasus Knights flew over to the other side of the Archers.  The unengaged Realm unit moved through the wood.

The Comet was stuck in the sky again and Ben rolled a three dice magic phase with a channel to have four dice to my two.  He attempted to cast Regrowth but I managed to double-six the dispel roll to stop it.  The trebs were ineffective again with one scattering so far off the Swordmasters nothing was under the template while the other misfired.

Bretonnia’s elite knights failed to tip the balance in the main combat and suffered the ignominy of seeing one of their number toppled by a lowly Elf archer.  Predictably the Great Eagle was not able to stand up to the charge of the Realm bus.

In my turn three the surviving Swordmasters reformed to present their front to the Realm bus while the unengaged Archers reformed to face the Pegasus Knights once more.

I kicked off the magic phase by casting Banishment at the bus, rolling a mighty two hits, only one of which wounded, killing a knight.  Ben threw all his dice at dispelling Birona’s Timewarp that the Light wizard attempted to cast on her own unit and used the Silver Mirror to stop Light of Battle being cast. I was successful in casting Net on the Realm bus for all the good it was likely to do me.

The Archers shot at the Pegasus Knights and finally managed to get the last wound through to kill one, causing the unit to panic off the board.  That was the sole bit of good news that turn as the remaining Ellyrian Reavers and the other Archer unit lost their combat.  While they had finished off the Yeomen and the Reavers held, the Archers fled with the Grail Knights in pursuit.

The Archers were then chased off the board by the Grail Knights at the start of Ben’s fourth turn and the bus charged into the Swordmasters.  The unengaged Realm unit continued moving up in support.

The Magic phase finally saw the comet come down and Ben rolled a might 2” for the affected area, which touched nothing whatsoever.  The first spell cast was Iceshard Blizzard at the Swordmasters which I used all my dispel dice to stop.  This meant Ben was able to get Curse of the Midnight Wind and Wyssan’s Wildform through unopposed.

Yet again the shooting from the trebuchets was appalling as both units targeted the remaining Archers but failed to hi them. In combat the last Ellyrian Reaver was cut down.  The other combat was also an almost foregone conclusion as the Swordmasters, despite managing to put a wound on the Bretonnian Lord, could not cut through the armour and ward saves of the characters in the front rank of the bus while they themselves were cut down mercilessly. 

With not much left to do except see if I could get any more points the Archers shot at the unit of Knights of the Realm in front of them.  With not enough troopers left to provide protection to the Damsel, one of the Archers’ arrows cut her down.

Turn five and the bus turned to face  the flank of the Archers as the Grail Knights moved up.  With the last bit of breathing space given them, the Archers tried to shoot down the Grail Knights but could only kill one.

Turn six and the Realm bus charged into the flank of the Archers and wiped them out for no wounds in reply.


So a bit of a disaster for my first game then.  While my lack of experience against Bretonnians didn’t have me expecting to win necessarily, I’d hoped to at least rack up a few tournament points and possibly push for a draw but losing the general’s unit first turn before it got a chance to do anything put paid to that.  From that point on it was damage control but despite scraping just over 400 points the fact that I lost my entire force gave Ben the 20-0 result.

No comments:

Post a Comment